When I first came across this recipe, it was in some kind of Russian and I was sad because it was so beautiful. Then I got my lovely Ruska friend to help me translate and I was so so happy! Here it is in English for your baking pleasure.
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 chilled stick butter
- 1/4 cup ice water
- mix salt and flour (start drinking wine)
- cut butter into flour mixture and stir into loose clumps
- add water until mixture forms a ball
- refrigerate for 4 hours
- roll out to fit 9” pie dish (use empty wine bottle to roll out dough ;))
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup white wine …i may skip this next time as the cream turned out a bit boozey…
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp grated orange peel
- 1 lemon
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 4 Tbsp flour
- a bit of cinnamon
- 5-6 apples
- Mix flour with sugar, vanilla, almond and orange peel
- Add egg yolks and a little milk, stir until smooth
- Pour the remaining milk and wine
- Boil the mixture and let it cool
- Pour into crust
- Peel apples leaving skins on
- Arrange peels into rose shapes and place in the cooled cream until the pie is covered with lovely roses!
- Dust with cinnamon and squirt with fresh lemon
- Bake at 350 F until crust and apples are golden brown
- I know it looks too pretty to eat, but go stuff your face! enjoy!!
original link: http://yoli-www.blogspot.com/2011/10/blog-post_18.html **check out the pics! gorgeous!